17.3.09

after the presidential debate - 8/10/08

From Brent on October 7th, 2008

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/07/content_10159106.htm


From Buck on October 8th, 2008

Well, this Argentina & Brazil thing doesn't seem like that big of a deal. They're still tying the exchange rate to the U.S dollar anyway. Good for them that they want to start using their own currency.

This link (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24467159-5013460,00.html) is really good. It's pretty in the middle, criticizes both sides, and pretty much expressed my feelings exactly on the economy, etc...

Also I'd like to say that I think Obama is 95% hype. What makes you think that he'll bring change or improve things? And if the answer (as with most people I believe) starts with "he says" or "he said" or some other version of him saying something, well you can guess where I'm gonna go with that...

Haha, sorry I was just brooding a bit over it, thought I'd vent.


From Brent on October 8th, 2008


Well this Argentina & Brazil thing doesn't seem like that big of a deal. They're still tying the exchange rate to the U.S dollar anyway. Good for them that they want to start using their own currency.

"Although the SML seeks to gradually eliminate the dollar from the bilateral trade, the currency will continue its presence in transactions between Brazil and Argentina, as their central banks will set the exchange rate for the real and the peso with respect to the dollar."

"The new paymnet system has more political importance than technical importance because it will strengthen ties between Argentina and Brazil, the biggest economies of the Mercosur."

"If the mechanism works out without incidents between Brazil and Argentina, it will be adopted by other countries of the Mercosur, like Paraguay and Uruguay, Brazilian authorities said."

Pretty interesting to me. I think it is a trend that might spread...

Also I'd like to say that I think Obama is 95% hype. What makes you think that he'll bring change or improve things? And if the answer (as with most people I believe) starts with "he says" or "he said" or some other version of him saying something, well you can guess where I'm gonna go with that...

Well, Obama said ... lol. Just teasing.

I don't think he'll necessarily improve things or make 'big' change, but I think he will do more for global perception of the USA than his rival. This is coming from someone who has a strong opposition to US foreign policy - particularly over the past 8 years.

If you have time, check out this lecture from Noam Chomsky (I think it is almost 2 hours but is definitely worth a watch. You can get it as a podcast from the iTunes store for free as well):


If you don't have time to watch that, there is a little clip here of more or less the same stuff:


A particularly strong point I think he presents is that policy should reflect the opinions of the population. He also points out that this is not the current state of things, and that the opposite is actually true. This is one of the things I think should change, but I don't think either candidate will do that.

Even on a completely superficial level (which you know I don't prescribe to) having Obama in office would be a major boon to America in terms of global opinion. Admittedly this is a sad point that I wish were not true, but the choice between him and an old, wealthy, white, ex-military man with a not so stellar academic record (never mind him joking about making North Korea extinct, bombing Iran, and "never forgiving gooks") - I think the point I'm trying to make is obvious.

Haha, sorry I was just brooding a bit over it, thought I'd vent.

Fair enough! I too was brooding last night and decided not to be so inciteful, particularly when it is not a point I agree with, and that we should not bicker unless it has a beneficial direction.

And it is funny because I can't vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment